Monday, February 1, 2010

Time to Train

When my kids were little (like when they were 3, 2 and a baby) I wondered how on earth people could have more than three. I even wondered how I was going to survive with three. When you are in the middle of babies and toddlers, it is hard to look past the diapers, bottles, carseats, pack-n-plays, naptime, high chairs, having to tote anything and everything with you when you go anywhere, and having to do everything for your kids, like putting on clothes, shoes, coats, etc. But then little by little, things change, suddenly you aren't putting on 4 pairs of shoes (counting your own) whenever you need to run to the store. You can say "get your coat on" and it happens. And my all time favorite was when I could tell them to get in the car and get buckled. I wasn't having to buckle 3 different carseats anymore! You realize that your job (in addition to the most important job of teaching them the things of the Lord) is to help them become more and more independent. We are training them to become adults! I am learning more each day of what my kids are capable of if I would just take the time to train them. But the time is well invested. Even though it is so much faster (and might look a whole lot better) to clean the bathroom counter myself, Clay will never learn if I don't take the time to teach him. Baking a cake is a whole lot easier when it is just me measuring, adding and mixing. But they are learning when they are reading the recipe, measuring out the ingredients and turning on the mixer. And then you have days when you see the fruit of your labor.

Normally, we have company in our home once a week for dinner. We have gotten to the point where I can say we are having company tonight, lets get the house straightened up. Now, I can put the leaf in the table and they will put the pad and tablecloth on. I can get the dishes from the high shelf and they will set the table. And I can even tell Paige what I would like help with in the cooking or baking and she will (for the most part) take care of it herself. It is a huge help to me, but it is also reminding them that we are serving as a family.

I am writing this more to myself, to remind myself, that training takes time and energy. But in time we can have confidence that our children will grow. I want my kids to be prepared adults. Unfortunately, they aren't always wanting to be trained, but we are working through that too. Teaching to work hard is another lesson in itself.

The best reward is seeing their face when the cookies turn out just right, the table looks great when the company comes or when you say to them "you have been a big help to Mommy!"

Below is a picture of Paige a few weeks ago, baking cookies for company coming. (Paige has found that an added benefit of mixing the cookies herself, is that she can add as many chocolate chips as she would like!)



4 comments:

  1. Okay, now I am totally impressed and convicted. My kids could never do a cookie recipe by themselves because I never let them get that close! Shame on me! I will have to do better when they get home. You are a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not be impressed. I definitely do not have it all together. As far as the cookies go, I help with items on the higher shelves in the kitchen and do the oven. I would like to make our kitchen more kid friendly so they can reach certain items, at the same time, I have to secure everything for the fostercare certification, ugh. But be encouraged, it isn't too late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! We are definitely seeing this happen at our house too... slowly but surely! Jack "cooked" dinner last night - I am even starting to let him brown meat on the stove (though I stay super close). He is so proud to do this, so why don't I take the time more often?! I remember Jenny Batchelor saying once that she puts all of the dinner dishes in the bottom cabinets so the kids can reach to set the table and empty the dishwasher. Great idea! What a great job you're doing!

    ReplyDelete