Monday, January 24, 2011

Proverbs 19:21

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand"
Proverbs 19:21

I am a planner and organizer by nature. In high school I was voted the most organized girl. Not only that, the category was actually made up specifically for me. Schooling my children at home requires me to plan. Planning the hour, the day,the week, the school year and even long range with what I want to have accomplished by the time they leave the house.

Today was like most every other school day. The plan was in place, we were to start school at 8:30 with Bible and everything else that follows. But 8:30 comes around and I can't find my Bible memory CD. Paige is sick with a fever needing a bit extra care this morning. Ok, so we will skip to Science. Science, done, now we will draw what we just learned and I will look for that CD, I find it GREAT!, but right when I start to get excited I hearing fussing and yelling between two children and now they are coming down the hall fighting over who tells the story first. After sifting through the stories, I find I have a significant discipline issue. Now an hour later because the child refused discipline we are ready to do Bible. But we are way behind schedule and I am starting to get frustrated.

A couple of days ago I read this verse from Proverbs in my quiet time. "many are the plans in the mind of a man" yes I remember several years ago being hit over the head with that verse when my plans didn't work out exactly the way I planned. "but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." I remember realizing that there is a bigger purpose in all of this. And you know what? I don't see the whole picture like the LORD does. So I learned this lesson several years ago, right? Then why is my first response when I am doing Bible at 10:00 instead of 8:30 like I had scheduled get me so out of sorts and to be honest angry?!? Why can't I just say it is the purpose of the LORD that stands. The heart of my child who I had to minister to is more important than my time table. Caring for my sick Paige is more important that getting worked up over who is going to help with vacuuming today because that is her job.

Just sharing my heart right now. I am still in the refining process and as you can see have a ways to go. Lord willing, tomorrow when Math isn't finished in the allotted time, I will see God in it and show my children a proper response to a change in plans.

1 comment: