Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Latest on "M"

I was hoping to have a definite placement date to share, but I am still waiting to hear from the social worker. I was told I would hear by today, but I know that things are busy.

We had a great weekend. Not problem free, but it was really good. I felt like having the whole weekend not just 24 hours made a huge deal. There was definitely more bonding with it. We took "M" to church which went very well. We have a Sunday School class before the "big service" as we call it, but the kids are all in the "big service" with the adults. So I was a bit nervous on how she would do sitting still for that long. I called Gloria to ask her to sit with me just in case I needed some help. Since Jathan is up in the pulpit, I am on my own. Usually it is fine, but recently I have had a few issues with Drew during the services and not knowing how "M" would do, I wanted to make sure that I had back up. But all went very well. I believe this was her first time in church, so there were many questions about how Jesus died on the cross and how big God is. It was a big reminder of the job God has called us parents to do. Sometimes, being a stay at home mom, I feel like I don't do enough in God's kingdom, but this weekend was a reminder of the mission field in my own home. Anyway, back to the weekend. Sunday afternoon as we were getting ready to leave to take her to her foster family before our evening service, she began to cry saying that she didn't want to leave. It took all of the my strength not to break down with her. God has been good to give me the words to say when these new situations arise, I am so thankful. "M" cheered up later and when she arrived at her foster home she was excited to see her foster mom's dogs.

The back and forth has gotten hard on her and us. Paige was sad that night because "M" wasn't there to sleep with her. If you know Paige, she isn't the emotional type so that was a big deal.

After talking to the social worker and letting him know about the weekend and the tears, he agreed that it was time. I was prepared to fight, but I didn't have to, he totally agreed. As of now, the plan is to sign placement papers on Friday and have the actual placement on Saturday. But there are a few people he still needed to square things away with so we are waiting for the official plan. I know it is still going to be hard for her to leave her foster mom. And we are still adjusting too, but I saw God give us much grace when needed this weekend and I know that He will be faithful to continue to give it.

I ask that you pray for the details to work out and everyone's adjustment.

We haven't told her to call us Mom and Dad, but she did on her own refer to both Jathan and I that way a couple of times this weekend. It warmed my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, My heart jumped when I saw this title! I am so anxious for every detail of this new step in your lives. So glad everything went as well as it did and looking forward to what God has in store. Love you!

    ReplyDelete