Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Finally...

I have been waiting to type this post for a long, long time. So here it goes...


Drum roll, please...


We have been matched with a little girl!!!


Because we are working with the foster system, I cannot post too much identifying information. That will be the case until the adoption is finalized. But what I will tell you is that she is 5 years old. She is actually 6 months older than Drew, so we are mixing up the birth order a little bit, but that is the way it goes. I will refer to her as "M" since I cannot share her name online and unfortunately I cannot post any pictures of her either. However if you come out to visit us, you would be able to see her in person!

Anyway here is the scoop. We learned about a possible little girl on Friday the 16th. We met with her social worker last Thursday and arranged to meet her today. The whole family went to her foster home met her and took her to the park for an hour play date. The next step is for her to come to our house on Tuesday and have a dinner with us. A few days after that on Friday we will get her for an overnight. Then the next weekend if everything goes as planned we will get her for the entire weekend and possibly have placement then. So that is the plan anyway. The play date went well, the kids all got a long well and she wants to be with us again, that is a good sign. I think she is adorable, I wish I could show pictures, but you will just have to take my word for it. Please pray for the transition to go as smooth as possible. And pray that there will be no kinks in the legal process.

What a day it has been. I tend to get very nervous about things like this. I remember the morning I was going to meet Drew for the first time. I felt nauseous. I thought that I was holding up pretty well today despite my nerves. I got up at a decent time and went for a run, I wanted to get school started well, so decided to take a shower during the kids morning break. I have to admit I was pretty sweaty and gross, but wanted to get school off to a good start. So we do our morning devotions, then start our next subject, the morning was relaxed and moving smoothly. Then at 10 after 9, the phone rings, I look at the caller ID and it has my dentists name on it. Oh No!!!! I had a dentist appointment at 9 I suddenly remembered. I picked up the phone and before the receptionist could say anything, I said I totally forgot I am so sorry! She asked if I could still make it in. I said yes, but I haven't even showered. She said that is ok. (she hadn't smelled me though!) So I yell to the kids, get your shoes on and get in the car. I go and brush my teeth, because I wasn't sure if I done that yet, so I wanted to at least have that covered since the rest of me was in no way presentable. We rush to the dentist, on the way get behind a car going 20 mph in a 35 zone, I am dying, but we finally make it. We run in and my hygienist was waiting for me. I started apologizing for being late, for being gross, over and over again. I told her I know that this is not an excuse, but we are adopting and we are meeting our little girl today. She said "well of course your mind is on other things, that is great" I think it got me off the hook. She said she didn't care what I looked like as long as my teeth were clean (thank goodness I did brush my teeth) I had jogged in a baseball cap and still had it on but she made me take it off. My hair was still wet and matted to my head. I cannot believe that I went out like that in public and subjected someone to myself! The kids were great, crammed into the exam room with nothing to read or play with, I was in such a hurry, I didn't grab anything!!! I had thought about this appointment all last week. They called and reminded me on Monday, I knew it was today. When I was running I saw a kid brushing his teeth while walking to school, you would have thought that would jog my memory. (I did think it was bizarre, but it didn't spark me to remember my appointment. Oh what a morning!

It will be a day I will always remember. The day I met my daughter.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, I can't wait to talk to you!! Did Jathan tell you I wrote on Skype yesterday?? He said he was cramming for a sermon so he wouldn't share computer type, bah humbug. ;)

    So excited for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations!! How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the last sentence just melts my heart! So happy for your family :)

    ReplyDelete