Monday, April 19, 2010

Butterfly Habitat - Part 1

One thing I love about homeschool is that I get to learn and discover right along with my kids daily. Right now, one of our science studies is the butterfly. On Paige's birthday, two weeks ago today, our larva arrived in the mail. After crawling around in their little jar and growing lots, they started looking more and more like what we think of as a caterpillar.

The kids loved watching them crawl around and change size almost literally right before their eyes. Then, starting on Saturday, they began crawling to the lid of the jar and hanging upside down. We had been waiting for this to happen. This, we knew, was what to expect when they were about to harden into chrysalids. Later that day one hardened. Then by Sunday morning, they were all in the chrysalid stage.


Now it is time to move them into their butterfly habitat. We will wait, and Lord willing, in 7-9 days a beautiful butterfly will emerge.

(There they are pinned to the side of the habitat.)

1 comment:

  1. cool- I want to see! I didn't know you had such exciting things happening at your house.
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete