Monday, December 21, 2009

Missing Dad

I don't know why some days missing Dad hits me more than others. I know that holidays can be hard, but I don't think that is what it is. A couple of days ago the kids and I looked through a photo album that my sister put together of my dad's life. Paige looks at it all of the time, but she wanted me to look at it with them so I could tell them more about the pictures. It is nice to have the memories that I can share with the kids, hopefully keeping their memories of dad alive. Oh how I miss him though. It is little things like watching a Purdue basketball game and remembering all of the games that Dad and I went to together. Thinking about how excited he would be about how well they are doing this year. Looking up at the mountains as I drive through town and think about how Dad loved visiting us here and getting to go up into the mountains and exploring them. Remembering driving with my Dad across the country as he helped us move out here. Seeing the kids growing and learning and knowing how proud Dad would be of them. Talking to Mom and knowing that she is alone. Listening to Paige rattle off dates of crazy things like when she lost all of her teeth and so on and knowing she is exactly like my dad!

I miss talking to him and hearing his voice. I miss his smile and gentle spirit. I miss him.

His life on earth was relatively short, not quite 58 years. But he had a good life and I was blessed with the time I had with him. I never questioned his love for me, it was very evident. The time was shorter with Dad that I would have liked, but the time I did have was a blessing from God, for which I am very grateful.

As much as I wish Dad was here right now, I am thankful that Dad is with his Savior. I am thankful that my heavenly father is good, and I know that all is for his glory. And I am thankful that he uses my family in displaying his glory.

I miss you Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me cry. Your dad was a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa... you made me cry too. Praying that this Christmas will be a wonderful time of remembering for you, your mom and Mandy. Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete