I remember when I was a kid the day after Christmas was a huge let down. Not that I was disappointed with Christmas, just that I looked forward to it for so long and then in a flash it was over. There weren't any more presents under the tree, in fact the tree was about to go back in it's box, we would say goodbye to cousins and grandparents and head back home, lights came down from our house, decorations back to the attic, it was over. A months preparation and then it was over in a day until the next year. So sad. The month leading up to Christmas day was so busy, filled with cookie making, decorating, Christmas programs, wrapping presents, peeking in presents (and I have to admit I was terrible about that, my mom had to double wrap gifts and use code to mark who they were for, but I always seemed to figure it out anyway, I was so naughty!) looking at lights, listening to Christmas carols, not to mention the night before when I would lay awake for what seemed to be hours trying so hard to listen for hooves up on the roof. Looking out the window anytime I thought I heard something or saw a flash of light, hoping that I could catch Santa. The morning seemed like it would never come. So when it was over it was disappointing. For some reason though as I have gotten older, I don't feel that way anymore. I don't think I am grinch and just don't care much about the holiday anymore. Maybe it is because we are out of routine and I like things in order so I look forward to the day after so that order can return to my house. Or maybe I can finally feel finished with all of the preparations and just relax a little. Or that I finally get to see the kids enjoy what we have been hiding from them for a while. I don't think it is any of those things though.
I would like to think that it is because I have realized the reason for the season. God gave us his perfect son. The perfect gift to us. And after celebrating his birth on Christmas we can celebrate his perfect life and his perfect sacrifice for our sins. So the day after Christmas shouldn't be a let down, because it should be us celebrating the beginning of God's work of redemption that he had been preparing the world for since the beginning. So if we are truly focused on Christ's birth and all that that entails, the day after should be a time of joy as we continue to celebrate this gracious gift of the Savior.
So, I pray as the Christmas season has come to a close, that the true meaning will be in the front of your thoughts and produce a grateful heart of joy. We are celebrating Jesus, his gift of salvation doesn't end on December 25.
"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
Hi, my name is Melissa. My husband, Jathan, and I have 4 beautiful children, 2 by birth and 2 by adoption. Jathan is a pastor and I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom.
You will find me writing about my kids, my husband, God, adoption, homeschooling, our travels, life events and everything in between.
No comments:
Post a Comment