Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fingerprinting

Well we had our appointment today. On the way to the office we explained to the kids that it was very important to be on their best behavior. I even went a little further and explained what that meant, just in case they forgot. My biggest fear is that one of the kids will have a melt down and the social worker will figure we can't parent and that will be the end of that. The kids were great though, I was nervous because prior to leaving the house Clay had to be reprimanded for one thing and as the kids were walking out to the garage Drew had to be also. So I was praying that it would be the end of the misbehaving.

So we handed over our stack of paperwork known as our application. It was basically our lives in a nutshell, including references, diagram of our home, all the money we make and spend, physicals, and questions about every aspect of our lives. We were able to meet our social worker face to face. She seemed nice and encouraged me to call whenever I had questions. I liked that. She looked over everything and said it looked to be in order. Then we waited to be fingerprinted. We have been fingerprinted so many times between Drew's adoption, our last attempt and this time, that I wonder if criminals are fingerprinted as much as we have been.

The next step is training. That will begin the end of January. We will have a 3 hour class once a week for 9 weeks. During that time our social worker will come out to our house to look it over. In addition we are waiting on letter from the Adoptions office to state when the meeting for that is. Adopting through the foster system requires some additional steps, then if we are just wanting to foster parent.

So that is that. It is official now, we are on the road to foster parenting. As I was having my fingerprints done, the lady in the office asked me if we were going to be foster parents. I said yes, and she said "thank you, you are needed".

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful statement, Melissa. God has something great planned for you!

    ReplyDelete