I probably shouldn't have titled this post that way. It sounds like I want the school year to be over, when that isn't the case. It is hard to believe that we have officially done 3 weeks worth of school. Of course they are always learning, even if it doesn't count as an official week to put down in the books.
There has been a bit of a learning curve this year. The biggest is having two addition students. We are still working on the schedule to get everything in that needs to be covered, figuring out what they can work on by themselves, what can all four do together, what can "M" and Drew do together, and what can Paige and Clay do together and what do I need to individually do each one. We are figuring some things out, a lot by trial and error. I figure by week 34, I'll have it all down. The second challenge is just that we are still figuring out "M" and she is still figuring us out. Authority is a new thing to her, so getting to realize she has to do what I ask, not just what she feels like. She still wants a lot of attention, like wanting me to watch her do everything including erase a letter. I still am learning what all she knows, since I haven't had her from birth or even close to that time and I wasn't around during her few months in Kindergarten, I still am not sure what she has mastered and what she hasn't.
But despite the challenges, we are learning, and I believe we are having fun (of course that may depend on what day you ask the kids).
Today was a day that was rewarding with the older two. (I won't mention the morning with the younger ones) Paige has a few science experiments she is working on, including testing pollution, freezing water and starting a compost pile. She is most thrilled with the compost pile, which she began today. I like it because she is cleaning up leaves from the yard and taking care of all my kitchen scraps. Clay was asked to write a story in first person point of view. So now he is excited to begin a series on "The Monkey Brothers", which is the name of the club he and some other boys started. He published his first story this afternoon and he already has a fan. Paige was delighted with it and said she couldn't wait for the next one to come out.
Some days are hard and there is a temptation to call the school and enroll them all, but that isn't most days, and there are even days like today where they are excited to learn and use their knowledge or skills. I love those days!
It's Been a Long Time
5 weeks ago


You are amazing, Melissa!
ReplyDelete