Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Drew!

Wow, 5 years old! My baby is 5 years old! Where does the time go?

Five years ago, Jathan and I were in the middle of our homestudy with Bethany Christian Services. We were learning about all of the ins and outs of the adoption world, filling out paperwork, and preparing Paige and Clay for a new sibling. Meanwhile, halfway across the world, in a hospital in Pyongtaek, South Korea a young lady was saying goodbye to her newborn son, Tae Hwan. Her newborn son became our son several months later. I looked at him today as he was eating his dinner. So excited about being a 5 year old. He got a few transformers for his birthday, so he was thrilled. For him life didn't get any better. I wondered if that young lady realized what today was. Does she remember? Does she feel pain? I've written several letters to our agency for Drew's file telling her what a joy he is to us. How much he has grown and what he loves to do. I wonder if she has read them? Every year on Drew's birthday, I think about the hard decisions she had to make and the goodbye she had to say. And I look at him and thank God that she choose life for her son, our son.

I just wanted to share my thoughts today.

We celebrated with a party at the park, (I'll post pictures later) presents at home and lots of playing with the new transformers. It has been a busy day, coming off of a busy weekend, so we are beat. Early to bed for the kiddos. (Hopefully, I won't be too late getting to bed either)

1 comment: