Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So what have we been up to…

August started with construction and school. The construction is because we are adding on to our home. Off of our family, there will now be a bedroom, bathroom and loft. The bedroom is so my mom can stay for as long as she would like and have her own space, the bathroom is for obvious reasons and the loft is for Jathan, whatever he would like to use it for. The builders are great, the kids actually miss then when they aren’t here for a day, but it is definitely a change in our life. For the most part we truck through school, able to ignore some of the extra noises and people around, other times when the drilling is a few feet from you or the hammering is above you, it can be a bit distracting. All and all despite the mess we are surviving. However, we will definitely be happy when it is all behind us and we can have our yard and house back to normal.


School started in August, my third year of homeschooling. I can’t say that I am any closer to being a veteran than I was at the beginning of Paige’s Kindergarten, but I am learning as we go and I do think that every semester is getting better. Paige is now in 2nd grade, Clay in 1st grade and Drew in preschool. I am grateful for the this opportunity.

One of the beauties of homeschooling is the flexibility in the schedule. Labor Day weekend we were able to turn the 3 day weekend into a trip to visit friends from college. Instead of the usual Sat-Sun-Mon holiday we left Thursday afternoon and had a Fri-Sat-Sun holiday. We had a great time playing on the beach, playing games and visiting. Jathan left Saturday, taking the Greyhound back home, while the kids and I stayed an extra day.


On that Sunday, the kids and I picked up my mom from the airport and headed to Palm Springs for the week. We stayed in a condo, had school like normal, but got to enjoy the pool on our breaks. In school we were studying the desert, so we took a few fieldtrips while we were there. We had a great time!

Currently, in October, we have been busy with school, Jathan working and I have tried to get our home as organized as possible. With the construction going on and things a bit out of place, I am fighting for organization in the areas of the home that have not been affected. At least have someplace seem neat and tidy. Jathan is coaching Paige and Clay in soccer. This year they are on the same team, which is so much more convenient than last year. Clay is taking a month of art lessons. We are trying them out to see if this is something we want to continue. Art seems to be his love, to the extent of him telling me that he doesn’t need school, since he is just going to paint. We will see about that! Last week we took a dairy field trip, which was great fun. The kids (actually the moms too) took a hayride through the dairy and got out to see the cows milked. Following the tour we had a nice picnic lunch drinking milk of course with ice cream as dessert. A great time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa! Enjoyed reading your updates! Great to see pics of the kids and your adventures too! =) Hope you guys are doing great!
    love you!
    kristen v.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear what's going on in your lives! Glad to hear things are going well!

    ReplyDelete