Monday, October 19, 2009

Good things come to those who wait

Three years ago we began the job search. Jathan was ordained and the resumes went out. We started off excited to see where God would lead us. Then after several months, our excitement died and we began to question. Are we looking in the right places? Is this really what God wants us to do? With the encouragement of our church family, we pressed on. After 8 months of looking, a church in CA called us to come out for an interview. In August of '07 we loaded a Penske truck with all of our earthly belongings and drove the 2300 miles from Indiana to California. As the green fields of the Midwest turned into dry desert land of the West, I soon realized, just how far we were going away from home.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Drew and I dropped off Jathan and the other two kids at soccer practice and headed to the farmers market and the grocery store. Trying to hurry to do both stops before the game. Thankfully, I didn't need anything that needed to be kept cold, so we were able to do both errands before the game instead of dragging everyone to the grocery store after. As I was going down an aisle I passed a family with two Asian kids. She looked hard at Drew and myself and said quietly "Is he adopted?" I said "yes" and she said "what country?" I told her Korea. Found out that her two were also adopted form Korea. As we talked she said that she had only been in this town for two years, I told her that we too, moved here two years ago in August. She told me that they moved in August too. Then came to find out that both of our husbands were pastors. Kinda weird the similarities. As we were talking she asked me if I too thought it was hard moving here. I had to honestly say no it wasn't.

I have thought a lot about the conversation. We waited and waited, sometimes we were patient other times we were not, but God knew what was best. We came to a church that was a perfect match. They are our family. I can't think of one time that I have regretted the move. From the moment we came we have been showered with love and support. We have grown spiritually more than ever before. I had a conversation with someone at a fellowship meal at our church a couple of weeks ago. She is new to the church and had just found out that we had only been there for 2 years. She began to ask if it was hard moving here. A dear friend interjected "When they weren't here it was like a part of our family was missing, when they came we knew they were the family that was missing"

Good things do come to those who wait.
We are blessed to have our church family.
I thank God for them!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa - thanks for this post - brought tears to my eyes to see how God works and He still works. We are a few months in...wondering how and if it will all work out for us so thanks for reminding us that God has a plan through your story :) Praying for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I can identify with the move not being hard, as I have mentioned to Pedro sometimes that I almost feel bad for being so content here in Iquique. But God truly gives us the desires of our hearts. I love that you are happy where you are and that He is leading and blessing in such special ways. I only hope we get a chance to see for ourself on furlough!

    ReplyDelete