Thursday, November 11, 2010

October in a Nutshell Part 1

After looking through all the pictures I have October, I realized that one post would be very long, so I am breaking it up into two parts (or maybe three depending on how much time I have).

October ended up being a very busy month. Mom was here, we celebrated Clay's birthday, visited a pumpkin patch, went to the coast for a conference for Jathan, and had a reformation party. Those were the special things. And soccer was in the mix with games every Saturday. It was quite a busy month looking back, November thankfully has been calm, and I really like that.

Like I mentioned Mom came out for a visit. She hadn't been here since June, although we saw her in August during our trip out East, it had been a while since being here. We were all looking forward to the visit, I am not sure how many times they asked if it was time to leave for the airport. On the way back from the airport, we stopped at a cheese "factory" along side the road. It is quite the place. You can watch them make cheese, they sell the cheese (and many other things) and you can eat there. And while you are waiting for the meal, you can feed all sorts of farm animals, climb in a tree house, play pool or video games, or sit and relax a garden like area. The kids loved it. Not many places can you eat out at a restaurant and have a bunny hop by, or have chickens clucking 10 feet away. It was great.

If you look closely, Drew is peaking out one of the upstairs windows.


We were invited to a "Talk" on Pakistan by Drew and "M"'s charter school. A lady told about her life while living in Pakistan when her husband was an ambassador there. It was very interesting. They had boys and girls come in through separate doors, the girls were given scarves to wear (I forget the official name for them) and the boys had hats to wear. She told about what they ate, how they shopped, how they cooked and cleaned and other various things. She mentioned that Islam was big there and told a little about how it was arranged, saying something about the leaders, when she mentioned the Mullah, explaining they they are clergy who study their book, Clay speaks up and says my dad is a Mullah. She looked at him and said, "he is?" , I heard a lot of giggles from the adults and I piped up and said "No, Honey, he is a pastor" A little bit of difference. Clay was a bit vocal that evening. When she counted to ten she asked what it sounded like and Clay spoke up saying that it sounded a little like Spanish. She said, "you have good ears" To that he replied, "Well actually, I use to have a lot ear infections." Goodness!


Of course you can't have October without a trip to the pumpkin patch. One Saturday after the soccer games we headed to one in a nearby town. It really was a delightful day. We packed a picnic lunch, they had trails, and a train ride. They even had some fun things to climb on. The kids all loved the big tree house with a swinging rope. Clay and Jathan especially loved the rope to swing on. It turned out to be a beautiful day that we really enjoyed. As I looked through the pictures to post I realized I did not get one picture with a pumpkin in it. But it really was a pumpkin patch with so much more too!

This picture was taken close to where we picnicked. It didn't take long for Drew to end up in the pond. Thankfully it was a warm day.

This is a good picture to show what Clay loves to do. He spends most of his time hanging or climbing on things. As he says, he is part monkey.

Clay was good at guiding himself, but Jathan had to stand close by to keep the other kids from slamming right into the tree.

This picture is to help us remember our days in Indiana!

No comments:

Post a Comment