The Uninvited Guest
One day my mom, Clay, Drew, MacKenzie and I were sitting on a blanket in the middle of the family room floor reading our geography book. We heard Tigerlily playing with something in the other room. I just guessed it was a bouncy ball. When I got up to get a globe and colored pencils, I saw what Tigerlily was playing with was not a bouncy ball. It was something scurrying. "It’s a mouse!" I cried. Tigerlily, our cat, was playing with a mouse. Then to add more to the problem, she had no intention to just get it, she was just daintily playing with it. So we stepped in.
Mom plopped an empty ice cream bucket over the mouse. Then we scooted the bucket, with the mouse under it, along the floor towards the front door. Carefully, we slid it over the ridges of the doorway to the front walk. We got Tigerlily so we could give her another chance to get rid of the mouse. Quickly, I lifted the ice cream bucket, but Tigerlily wasn’t interested anymore. She wanted nothing to do with it. Tigerlily ran, but not towards the mouse, she ran the other way. Now the mouse was loose in the front yard. "Tigerlily!" we half groaned, half shouted. Well now I had the ice cream bucket. I tried to get the mouse. I threw the ice cream bucket, hoping it would land on the mouse, but I missed. The mouse ran up into a bush. We tried to spot it. I especially tried hard since I had not caught the mouse. I found it on a branch in the bush. Mom hit the bush with a little pvc pipe about three feet long and one inch diameter which Clay had been carrying around and the mouse fell down to the ground.
The mouse sprinted under the van which was parked in the driveway. We chased it back and forth, this way and that way. At this point we were laughing. One of my brothers said, "We could all get in the van and run over it." We decided not to. The mouse darted into the flowerbed by the mailbox. My mom had the pipe. Hastily, she plunked it down on the mouse’s tail so it couldn’t get free and I held it there while mom fetched the shovel. We said goodbye to the mouse, then disposed of it in the trash can where it rested in peace. That is until trash day.
The end


Great storytelling, Paige! Sounds like quite an adventure in the Newton house that day! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat story! I don't think our cats would have helped dispose of the mouse, either. What are cats coming to these days!? ;)
ReplyDelete