Tuesday, January 17, 2012

100 Days Survived


Today we celebrated the one hundredth school day of the '11-'12 school year. Generally the only reason to keep track is in case a social worker comes to the door and asks for school records. Because really when you school at home or where ever you find yourself, you realize that learning can take place without a math worksheet sitting at the table. But for record keeping purposes, I keep a calendar of the days between fall and spring that we do sit at the table with a math worksheet.

Until recently, however, those numbers were not posted for the students to see. This year is different. Drew's special ed coordinator recommended us count days using numbers and coins. The thought is to help him see the numbers increase and see a value for the number. Also to see the value of 10 pennies equaling 1 dime and now 10 dimes equaling 1 dollar. I told the kids at the beginning of the school year, we would celebrate the 100th day. I wasn't really sure how, but I said we would do something different.

As the day approached the questions started increasing about what we would do. One child (Clay) said that maybe we wouldn't have school that day. Another (Paige) responded that if we didn't have school then it wouldn't be the 100th day. That would be a dilemma. hmm. So we settled for no chores (so the house isn't looking the greatest right now, but oh well), a special snack, the bare essentials of subjects (everyone had their math worksheet to do of course) and games. Several games.

I got a chuckle at lunch when MacKenzie prayed for the meal and thanked God for allowing us to survive 100 days. Yes, we did survive. And yes, we still have quite a few more days before we can call it a school year and put away the calendar. But we are over half way there!

1 comment:

  1. I always counted to the 100th day when I taught in a classroom. We celebrated with lots of fun activities all related to 100. Congrats for making it this far this year! We're close...

    ReplyDelete